So we are trying to figure out when is the best time to move Siena into her own room. When she was born I remember saying that I only wanted her in the room with us for a month but as that month drew closer I felt some anxiety because it just seemed too early for her to be so far away from us.
(no that isn't our nursery)
Now however, I think it is the right time to move her---despite still feeling like it is a bit far away-- but there are a million litle reasons stopping us from doing it. So give a sista some advice. When did you move your kids into the nursery and why was it best then?
9 years ago


12 comments:
Umm... I kinda put that off for a bit. Emilie just moved to her own room around Christmastime. I found a ton of reasons not to as well. One good reason that I kept her in the room with us was that it reduces the risk of SIDS when infants sleep near (not with) their mother. Other than that it was really just me being afraid to let go. Finally I just took down her pack and play (that is where she slept in our room) and it left me no choice but to put her in her room. It has been very nice to have my bedroom back! My advice is do whatever you and Etienne feel okay. It really is something that should be decided between the two of you, and no one else should have a voice, like umm... in laws ;) I know it feels like a big decision, but there really is no harm either way. I have found that usually it is me that has the hard time making changes, not Emilie. She really didn't notice, and I do think she sleeps better. Okay, I will quit rambling. I really should pick up a phone card and just call you!
We were living with my in-laws right after Emmaleigh was born, for a lot of reasons, but anyways, when we moved to Logan Emmy was around 4 months old and right away she was in her own room.I don't think she liked it at first, but she got to the point where she was even for naps had to be alone in her room.
I think the other commenter is right though that it's up to you guys when to move her out. Ben's got a little sister who didn't move into her own room until she was 2 and Eliza has suffered no damage.
Just for us with Emmy, well.... I wanted my own bed and I figured the sooner we moved Emmy over the easier it would be to do.
I guess a big part depends on you...are you a heavy sleeper, and would you sleep through her cries if you moved her? Are you nursing, and would it bother you to WAKE up and go nurse her in her room rather than your bed? I kept Owen in our room for 3 -4 months. You'll know when it's time. I will say your quality of sleep will drasticly improve once she is on her own.
Addie was five months old, but we were living in a one bedroom till she was 5 months, then moved into a 2, so that is when and why. I wish I could have at about 3 months though. Her first night in her own room she didn't wake up once... 12 hours STRAIGHT! She needed it and so did we. Eliza was around 3 months old. I wanted the girls to get used to sharing a room and they did and do really well together! Even when Eliza randomly wakes up at night! (thanks to teething)
Ethan slept in our room until he was 5 months old, but we were living in a one bedroom apartment at the time. He ended up waking up constantly and I wasn't getting any sleep at night so we moved him into a pak-n-play in our living room (how sad is that) and that's when he started sleeping through the night and I slept much better. Now with Max it's a whole other story since we're in a home now. I wanted him in his own room as soon as possible so we put him there when he was a month old and he's been there ever since. You just have to do what's best for you and Sienna and your particular situation. There is no right or wrong. I'm just a person that can't sleep when the baby is in the room because I wake up for every whimper and movement so it's better for me to have them in the other room. Let me know how it goes.
I believe we moved Ike into his own room when he was 4 months. I honestly would have done it sooner, maybe at 2 or 2 1/2 months. I think when they become more aware of you putting them down and can react more it gets harder. It was hard for me because I had to listen to every move and sound but I made it thanks to a monitor practically sitting right next to his bed. You do sleep a lot better once they are in a different room. Love you girly and miss you!
We were in the same room with Evelyn (in her crib) until she started realizing that we were there. At around 8 months she could pull down the crib bumper and peek at us. Now she's old enough where, if she fusses at night, we can ignore her and she'll get herself back to sleep. So it's nice not to have to keep running into her room. I'd probably do it the same way again. It's funny that as she gets older, I find myself missing those late night feedings, etc. :)
Ok "sista"...as a third time mom, I plan on putting our little one directly into her own room. Granted it's really only a stones through from our room but she'll have her own peace and quiet. We put Max in our room (one bedroom apartment) for the first 2- 3 months which was comforting for a first time mom and easier on feedings. Graham got about the same... 2 months. But once we made the switch, we all slept better in our own rooms. I would wake up with every twitch they made and they would wake up with every breath I made...so there it is...take it or leave it! Have I mentioned you're doing a great job!
I'm a bit behind. I would've moved Emmalyn to her own room at 4 months, but we didn't have that option (we were staying with various people during a transition from one place to another) so it ended up being closer to 7 months. We bought a video monitor and it made all the difference! It's very comforting, even now that she's almost 2 years old, to be able to check on her whenever I want without actually opening the door. I'd highly recommend one.
you fell of the face of the earth- it's time for an update my dearie!
Seems as though you have been debating this topic since Feb
9th....it really is time to move on to a new post.
ah! i'm so glad i found you!
my kids were in cribs on about day 2! they both snorted like little piggies and i just couldn't sleep with them in my room! plus they were both amazing sleepers from the get-go so it wasn't like i was getting up constantly.
Post a Comment